YOUR DECORATING TOOLBOX
15 must have items for your decorating project
1. List making supplies- you need to create various lists. Lists are excellent to gain clear focus and direction.
2. A file folder/project binder keep everything in one place with a project ring binder. You can include plastic sheet covers to easily store inspirational photographs, swatches, paint chips, etc. The binder folder makes it easy to store and easy to find all the details of your design project. Take it a step further and make detailed, labeled dividers for all of the following. To-do list, floor plans and measurements details, swatches, spec sheets, quotes from contractors, prices for furniture & Labor estimates. Contact info: showroom sales rep, info store location and sales info, delivery services, photography for of inspiration, photograph empty rooms. Take photos of furniture possibilities. Invoices list and spreadsheets outlines and details concerning each item purchased or plan to purchase, item numbers, supplier contacts, specs, price, availability, delivery dates, budgets. Before creating a mood board, you can store all the collected magazine tear sheets in this binder including fabric swatches, color references, paint chips and or any other details for the Mood board creating. Including in this binder are time-lines, calendars, noted special dates that need you need to keep in mind for this entire project.
3. A sketchbook for sketching plans, furniture ideas, layouts, practice blending colors, draw ideas & draw inspirations.
4. Watercolor, colored pencils, markers & inks to create your color pallets, render illustration and design ideas into your sketchbook.
5. A Notepad to jot down all needed info at all times.
6. A good digital camera to take photos of anything and everything that inspires you. A Camera is beneficial to help you plan. Of course, you can use your smartphone with the proper camera in it.
7. Templates Use plastic templates for Home Planning /Layout & Template, House Furnishings. These are useful for getting closer to accurate measurements in creating a floor plan.
8. A computer or smartphone with access to the Internet to get onto design blogs, on line resources, educational sites, inspirational blogs, you can upload photos, or create great digital mood boards, create spreadsheets to track materials, budgets, draft floor plans, & source items.
9. Measuring tools 1. A builder’s tape measure for measuring all the big stuff like the size of a room width and height of walls, windows, floor space to furniture, accessories, entryways, etc.) 2. A sewing measuring tape (to measure the circumference around things.) 3. A clear see-thru stick ruler for quick measuring of small items & drawing straight lines on paper for your floor plan. These measuring tools will be essential and extremely handy.
10. Scissors and pinking shears for cutting fabrics, trim, inspirational images from magazines for color schemes.
11. Painters tape perfect to use to make outlines of where you plan to place furniture, mirrors, art. This type of tape helps with space planning.
12. Grid paper or 3-D software for floor planning. These tools help with visualizing and coordinating furniture inside a particular floor plan with size constraints.
13. Color chips and fabric swatches collecting color chips and fabric swatches will help you define edit organize your color theme.
14. A project storage box will help you store and organize large bulky samples that don't fit into your binder like flooring samples, catalogs, and other bulky items.
15. A spreadsheet you can break your spreadsheet down into rooms and then fix items like appliances furniture and accessories include the name, product code, description, color, the supplier and the price. You can also insert photography of the object for reference.
These are the essential tools in any decorating toolbox if you find other tools that are not on this list and would like to share it with us, please leave a comment and I would love to hear from you. Feel free to browse our home decor accessories to add to your upcoming projects. Happy Decorating!